Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Art weekend

Well I went off to Leitrim, to the totally charming Lissagarvan Studio; two pleasant days of sketching and painting with the careful, attentive and delightful teachers, Audrey and Cathy Reynolds.
The first day we did miniature sketches in the morning of a still group of natural materials: quite an interesting exercise because of the small scale. Later we painted a still-life all in tones of one colour, blue: a challenge, sometimes a frustrating one, but full of interest! Every student produced something quite different.
Here's my effort, showing first the group and then the finished painting.


As for my efforts to copy a nude in oils, they didn't turn out well at all: the first one I scrubbed out in frustration, the second attempt turned into a bleary mudpie of bland colours, wrong angles and mushy paint.
But oil is a very forgiving medium and I am resolved to prop the offending daub up on my easel and bash away at it at least until the drawing is right or near it. Watch this space!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun. I like your treatment of the blue glass jar in front.

    ReplyDelete